The Capsicum fruit is enjoyed by so many people around the world, either raw or cooked. Not only does it add great taste to dishes, it is also a very healthy food, considering the nutritional value of red peppers. They are a favorite for stuffing or added raw in salads, but also cooked or roasted. Below are two delicious capsicum recipes, one served as a side dish and the other as a main course.
* Several bell peppers, washed, seeded, and sliced julienne
* Balsamic vinegar
* Olive oil
1. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Add the sliced bell peppers, stirring until they are tender enough to be pierced with a fork.
2. Remove from heat, add salt and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Serve hot as a side dish to accompany steak and potatoes or other similar meals, to add vitamins, color and great taste to any dish.
Mediterranean Style Stuffed Peppers and Tomatoes
* 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
* 1/2 pound lean minced meat
* 4 red capsicum, seeded, tops cut off and set aside
* 4 medium-sized tomatoes, hollowed, tops cut off, set aside
* 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
* 1 garlic clove, diced
* 2 onions, 1 sliced, 1 diced
* 1 Tbsp parsley, finely cut
* Salt and pepper
* Olive oil
1. Prepare rice, boiling as per manufacturer’s recommendations.
2. Sauté garlic and diced onion in a large frying pan with hot oil over medium-high heat. Add minced meat, salt, pepper and parsley. Simmer until browned.
3. Mix cooked rice with the meat mixture and stuff each red bell pepper and tomato, covering them with their respective tops, and placing each on a deep baking dish.
4. Between the peppers and tomatoes, place the hollowed out parts of the tomatoes, the cut potatoes, the sliced onion, and any left over rice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle some good quality oil around the baking dish. Add about 1 cup of water and place uncovered in a preheated 375°F oven for about 30 minutes. Tip: place a sheet of aluminum foil loosely on top of the pan to avoid from charring.
This makes a wonderful main course dish that is full of healthy ingredients and is easy to prepare, cook, and clean up after.
It is important to serve a variety of foods in order to for everyone to get the necessary vitamins and minerals they require to remain healthy. Peppers are extremely healthy and rich in vitamin C and vitamin A. They are great to take along with you as a tasty snack as they are quick to prepare in their raw form.